Apple & Wild Blueberry Crumble in 7 easy steps!
That's right. Just 7 easy steps.
You can't go wrong with a warm, fruity, tart, sweet, comforting crumble.
I love dessert but I've been doing my best to lay off large amounts of sugar.
With that being said, I've been playing around with different ways to eat dessert without adding a crazy amount of sugar into the mix.
I have chosen to use maple syrup because of it's nutritional properties.
What makes this crumble better than other crumbles?
Apples - Anti-inflammatory, great for digestive health (especially when softened)
Wild Blueberries - Full of antioxidants, great at detoxing your body of heavy metals (I would look into Anthony Williams, Medical Medium for more info)
Maple Syrup - High in antioxidants and also offers nutrients such as zinc, magnesium and calcium.
Coconut oil is a "good fat" loaded with anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Learn more here
Ghee is a great for digestion and again has anti-inflammatory properties. It is awesome if you are lactose intolerant too as the milk solids have been removed making this different to butter.
Learn more here https://www.alishaunleeshd.com/post/oh-ghee
5 Apples (medium), peeled and thickly sliced
2 cups Frozen or Fresh Wild Blueberries
4 tbsp Coconut oil
1 tbsp Ghee
4 tbsp Plain Flour
(Or flour of choice, ideally I would like to swap this out for cassava flour)
5 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice/ or Cinnamon Powder
Oven pre-heated at 375 F
Method for fruit mixture
1. Add your fruit into a casserole dish, try to spread it out as much as you can
2. Sprinkle your pumpkin pie spice all over the fruit and pour 4 tbsp's maple syrup all over the fruit.
3. Add a tbsp of coconut oil into the fruit mixture for flavor and a rich consistency.
4. Pop into the oven for 30 minutes.
Method for crumble mix
5. Add your flour into a bowl with the rest of the coconut oil, ghee for buttery texture, maple syrup and vanilla essence.
Use your fingers to bind the ingredients together creating small rough lumps.
6. Once you have binded the flour together, keep aside until your fruit has been in the oven for 30 mins
7. Take the fruit dish out of the oven and sprinkle your flour mixture evenly over the top. The ratio of crumble to fruit is up to you. I personally prefer more fruit with a lighter layer of crumble. Pop into the oven for another 30 minutes or until topping is golden.
I hope you enjoy this yummy treat food.