I have just taken a couple days off of social media and I feel great for it.
Of course, I'm aware I haven't been forced to use it, I choose to use socials as much as I do.
A lot of what I do with my blog is on social media.
I love the community I have built.
Knowing that I use social media often, I also know when it's time to tap out and take some time away.
After having a couple days off social media this week, I've decided to take a few more days off next week too.
When to take a digital detox?
- Do you feel like your mood dips a little after spending time on social media?
- Do you feel anxious when you don't have your phone with you?
- Do you struggle to fall /stay asleep?
- When seeing something amazing, do you reach for your phone right away to record it with a need to share with others?
- Do you find yourself comparing yourself to others?
There is no judgement here. I am guilty of all of these (not so much the last one anymore)
Only now I am completely aware of when it's time to step back.
The Benefits of a digital detox:
- Better concentration
- Less stress
- Less anxiousness
- Calmer mind and body (less to process)
- Improved mood
- An appreciation for "the small things" that sometimes get missed
Things you can do during a digital detox:
- Explore nature
- Watch the sunrise and sunset without taking photos, just be present
- Read a book
- Learn a new skill
- Connect with your family, friends, loved ones
I personally spent more time at the local beach, cooked more meals from scratch, listened to some of my favorite music, completed a mindfulness wordsearch (haha it's true! I love a good wordsearch)
I noticed so many beautiful interactions with people on my walks that I would never have noticed if I was glued to my phone.
Whether you take a digital detox for an hour, a day, a week or a month.. personalize it to suit your needs.
I took three days and that worked well for me. Next week, i've chosen to do the same thing. Last year, I took a whole month off. Listen to your body.